Use this exercise to explain who you are in a concise, six-word professional description that sets you apart from other job seekers and communicates why you are the best candidate for the job.
- Brainstorm for 3-5 minutes
- Write down adjectives and nouns identifying skills and personality and character traits
- Construct two or more six-word statements
- Discuss these statements with your advisor, mentor, or a Career Services staff member
- Explain your statements and how they relate to skills, personality and character
- Choose or revise your description to fit your career objective
Use your statement(s) on your resume and/or cover letter or to answer interview questions.
- “Enthusiastic Registered Nurse who is a compassionate home-care provider”
- “Driven, experienced accountant and a detail-oriented organizer”
- “Educator with a love for students, creativity, and life-long learning”
- “Dedicated musician who consistently strives for excellent practice and performance”
“Why Personal Branding is Essential for Getting a Job”–from Careerealism.com, May 2014