This introductory section, listed just below your name and contact information, gives employers a summary of your qualifications, skills and personal qualities. When done correctly, the Profile section can grab the employer’s attention and become one of the most important sections of your resume, especially if your employment goal is somewhat unrelated to your academic degree.
You can label the section heading in a variety of ways, including Summary of Qualifications, Profile or simply the specific job title you are seeking.
Use for job boards, career fairs, and general networking
- Include your desired area of work in the first bullet.
- Use key words specific to your desired industry and employment.
- Use additional bullet points to summarize your key strengths and accomplishments.
Use for specific networking, job, or grad school applications
- Include the actual job title and the company’s name in the first bullet to personalize your resume and make it stand out from those of other applicants.
- Use additional bullet points to customize your resume by including key words found in the employer’s job description.
- Summarize your key strengths and accomplishments.